Required Equals Results: Janet Gelb, Grossmont College
“85% of my course grade is made up by digital tools like Connect and LearnSmart. “
What impact did requiring digital have on your students’ success?
I will have more information regarding the impact at the end of this semester.
Which digital tools do you use in your class?
I use Connect and SimNet in my class.
When did you begin using digital tools in your classes and what did it replace, if anything?
I began using digital tools in my classes in the Fall of 2013.
When did you decide to require them as part of the course grade?
I decided to require them as part of the course grade in the Spring of 2012.
What percentage of your course grade is made up by digital tools?
85% of my course grade is made up by digital tools like Connect and LearnSmart.
Why is it important to require digital rather than make it optional?
Students tend to only do the graded required assignments. Anything that is optional, whether it would increase learning or not, is not on their radar.
What advice do you have for instructors who are incorporating digital into their courses for the first time?
Pilot the digital component before making your course completely digital.
What are you able to do now that you couldn’t before you required digital?
Teach a flipped classroom and add interesting discussions instead of doing traditional lectures that students dislike and tend not to participate in.
By The Connect Team | October 28 2013
The Connect Team
- New Connect Quick Guides Site is Live!
- 95% of Student Survey Participants Report Connect’s Tegrity Tool Improves Learning
- Using the Item Analysis Report to target your instruction
- McGraw-Hill Connect Increases Student Performance and Engagement at San Diego State University!
- Do More with McGraw-Hill Connect and Blackboard!
- Digital Faculty Consultants Share LearnSmart Benefits
- Tips for Accessing LearnSmart in Connect
- Connect Enhancements Are Coming!
- McGraw-Hill/Blackboard Total Course Solution Launches!
- McGraw-Hill Connect with LearnSmart Improves Student Success and Engagement at the University of Colorado Denver!