Required Equals Results: Brad Fillmore, Eastern Washington University
“Requiring digital increased assignment completion, which definitely increased student participation and engagement, and as a natural result, student grades increased.”
What impact did requiring digital have on your students’ success?
Requiring digital increased assignment completion, which definitely increased student participation and engagement, and as a natural result, student grades increased.
Which digital tools do you use in your class?
I use LearnSmart, LearnSmart Labs, Ph.I.L.S, APR 3.0, Canvas LMS, PPTs, Animations, etc.
When did you begin using digital tools in your classes and what did it replace, if anything?
I began using digital as soon as I had the option to use it. Digital replaces hard to set-up, challenging and expensive lab activities as well as old fashioned images and overheads.
When did you decide to require them as part of the course grade?
I decided to require them as part of the course grade with the adoption of this current McKinley A&P text. LearnSmart is THE reason I selected this textbook.
What percentage of your course grade is made up by digital tools like Connect and LearnSmart?
40%. 20% of my students’ final grade is LearnSmart homework, and most of their lab grade (20% of the course) is from digital tools such as pre-labs and LearnSmart Labs.
Why is it important to require digital rather than make it optional?
It’s important to require digital rather than make it optional because students will rarely engage in something, no matter how good it is, unless there are points attached.
What advice do you have for instructors who are incorporating digital into their courses for the first time?
Don’t be frustrated and overwhelmed. Take it one step at a time and ask for help often.
What are you able to do now that you couldn’t before you required digital?
I’m able to reach more students and help the individuals with my time that has been freed up by going digital.
By The Connect Team | November 04 2013
The Connect Team
- New Connect Quick Guides Site is Live!
- 95% of Student Survey Participants Report Connect’s Tegrity Tool Improves Learning
- Using the Item Analysis Report to target your instruction
- McGraw-Hill Connect Increases Student Performance and Engagement at San Diego State University!
- Do More with McGraw-Hill Connect and Blackboard!
- Digital Faculty Consultants Share LearnSmart Benefits
- Tips for Accessing LearnSmart in Connect
- Connect Enhancements Are Coming!
- McGraw-Hill/Blackboard Total Course Solution Launches!
- McGraw-Hill Connect with LearnSmart Improves Student Success and Engagement at the University of Colorado Denver!