Required Equals Results: Gina Szablewski, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
“You will save time, learn more about your students and increase participation and engagement.”
What impact did requiring digital have on your students’ success?
I certainly have more A’s and B’s in class (taken from the C grades). I also believe there is an increase in retention, participation and engagement. They like using the digital products.
Which digital tools do you use in your class?
I use Connect, Tegrity and Learnsmart.
When did you begin using digital tools in your classes and what did it replace, if anything?
I began using digital tools in 2010. They replaced some work done on Desire2Learn.
When did you decide to require them as part of the course grade?
As soon as I integrated the digital tools they were part of the course grade.
What percentage of your course grade is made up by digital tools like Connect and LearnSmart?
Physical geology is made up of 12% Connect quizzes and 12% LearnSmart. For Environmental Geology, each Connect quiz is worth 5% (LearnSmart not currently available).
Why is it important to require digital rather than make it optional?
If it is optional, only the motivated students will use it and it is the unmotivated students that really need the help associated with the digital products.
What advice do you have for instructors who are incorporating digital into their courses for the first time?
Go for it. It is easier than you think. You will save time, learn more about your students and increase participation and engagement in the materials presented.
What are you able to do now that you couldn’t before you required digital?
I’m able to assess the progress of individual students and the class as a whole on a weekly basis.
By The Connect Team | December 09 2013
The Connect Team
- New Connect Quick Guides Site is Live!
- 95% of Student Survey Participants Report Connect’s Tegrity Tool Improves Learning
- Using the Item Analysis Report to target your instruction
- McGraw-Hill Connect Increases Student Performance and Engagement at San Diego State University!
- Do More with McGraw-Hill Connect and Blackboard!
- Digital Faculty Consultants Share LearnSmart Benefits
- Tips for Accessing LearnSmart in Connect
- Connect Enhancements Are Coming!
- McGraw-Hill/Blackboard Total Course Solution Launches!
- McGraw-Hill Connect with LearnSmart Improves Student Success and Engagement at the University of Colorado Denver!