How to Keep Your Class Successful and Motivated: Use Connect Insight to Decode Student Behavior
Big Data is a term that is commonly used to acknowledge that there is a great deal of information being gathered on each of us everyday. There is a massive amount of structured and unstructured data on all of us—what we buy, where we eat, whom we email or call. This is also true in education where attendance information, test scores and activity data are gathered constantly.
Big Data is not new in education. What is new about Big Data in education are the tools being used to collect it, the type of data being collected and the processes being developed to use that data to help educators teach and students learn.
Twenty-five years ago kilobytes (kb) of attendance records and exam scores were stored on floppy disks and merged into Big Data stores on monochrome screens. Since the advent of the Learning Management Systems (LMS) and other electronic gradebooks educators and school systems have had even more significant amounts of Big Data.
A few months ago we released Connect Insight. Connect Insight is a first step on a journey to predictive modeling and ultimately to being able to provide an optimized experience with precise personalized recommendations and interventions.
At McGraw-Hill Education, we hope to contribute to making a difference in people’s lives by using data for good through the work that our data scientists and engineers are doing in collaboration with educators and students. Driving us is the promise to use data, big and small, to help people teach and learn. We are building our systems on open standards and see our work as part of the larger science of data research and analytics. We also see the work that we are doing as part of an ecosystem—we give and we receive from a community of educators and students. In the coming months we look forward to making more of the research we are doing available in order to find more collaborators who want to work on the same problems we are working on. We hope to hear from you.
VP, Digital Product Development at McGraw-Hill Higher Education
By The Connect Team | March 25 2014
Tags: Connect Insight
The Connect Team
- New Connect Quick Guides Site is Live!
- 95% of Student Survey Participants Report Connect’s Tegrity Tool Improves Learning
- Using the Item Analysis Report to target your instruction
- McGraw-Hill Connect Increases Student Performance and Engagement at San Diego State University!
- Do More with McGraw-Hill Connect and Blackboard!
- Digital Faculty Consultants Share LearnSmart Benefits
- Tips for Accessing LearnSmart in Connect
- Connect Enhancements Are Coming!
- McGraw-Hill/Blackboard Total Course Solution Launches!
- McGraw-Hill Connect with LearnSmart Improves Student Success and Engagement at the University of Colorado Denver!